Each client uses 500MB memory after Windows update

Discussion in 'General' started by Hive, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Hive

Hive Froglok Krup Watcher

Hello,

Tonight my computer decided to get the Fall Creators update for Win10 and it has completely ruined eq for me. Before the update each client was using about 100MB (still horrible, I know) but now after it they are using 5x more. So I rolled back the update to get rid of it but still each client is using 450-550MB memory which is just insane.

Last night people in ooc were talking about how they can get each client down to ~400KB and here I am sitting at literally 1000x that! I can see that this update is gone for a few reasons: One is that the visual look of the task manager is now back to its original state and, Two the option to rollback is no longer available to me when I go to my settings and try to follow the steps I used to get rid of it in the first place.

So why are each of my eq instances using so much memory? This same exact client with the same exact options was using ~100MB per instance for the last two months and now the dang update and it's 500. And tonight I was going to try and get down to those 400KB levels...that'll teach me to dream :(

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Hive

Rolling back the update and then reinstalling it has seemed to do the trick. My bots start out at about 350-450MB each and then after a few minutes drop down to 70-150MB range. After a zone bots go up to about 200-300, but then drop down again. I still have no idea how anyone got a client to run at 400KB....

3. emir

emir Orc Warlord

4. Hive

Yup those steps were extremely helpful; however, when I did them after I installed the creators update for the first time there was no difference in memory usage. I'm not sure what happened, but as with all electronics:

[​IMG]

5. Crowflow

Crowflow Orc Pawn

I'm having this issue, but it has existed for me long before the creators update. Each instance takes 400-600MB. I'm familiar with the ez optimization guide from using it over the years. My poorer quality installation takes up an equivalent amount (sometimes greater) of memory as my primary installation. I'm on RoF2, like any civilized human.

I kind of just live with it since I have stupid amounts of RAM, but I'd also love to know what the issue is.

6. Rushlyght

Rushlyght Orc Pawn

Windows 7 or 8. :eek:

7. Hive

Are you sure that eq or mq isn't resetting your eqclient.ini? This happened to me many times and it would do dumb things like set my clip plane to 100%, turn on all spell effects with 100% opacity etc. which made my bots take up more RAM than my main. Two things I did to stop this were #1 make your bots eqclient.ini file read only (right click the file > Properties > Check the box next to "Read Only") and #2 Right click on the MQ2 icon in your system tray and go to...Properties? (I'm not at home right now and idr =D) on one of the menus you will see "Clean Launch" right click it and it will change to "Clean Launch (suspended)" and that is what you want. Doing those 2 things has kept my bots eqclient from ever changing. *knocks on wood*

8. Crowflow

Crowflow Orc Pawn

I'm on Windows 10 :( Do the previous versions solve this?

My settings, in eqclient.ini, are not resetting though. The two installations are very clearly different in quality, identifiable immediately from the low clip/actor planes, slower-loading objects, and my different keybindings from default EQ. After I adjust initial settings on a new installation, I always set them to read only afterward. I haven't ever had them revert once I've done that.

9. Hive

Have you noticed other programs taking too much ram as well?

10. Crowflow

Crowflow Orc Pawn

I hadn't thought about that. I'm not sure what would be appropriate for most programs since EQ is the only one I have monitored the memory usage of before. Everything seems negligible in memory usage and significantly lower than EQ though (excluding Chrome).

11. Hive

Win 10 should idle at about 2gb. My chrome depends heavily on how many tabs it has open; with 1 open its maybe at 200, with 6 open its all the way up to 1gb.

12. Crowflow

Crowflow Orc Pawn

Yeah, it looks like I'm at pretty standard memory usage outside of EQ.

13. Rushlyght

Rushlyght Orc Pawn

Windows 10 is choke full of bill Gates spyware. Thus slows down pc...however win 7 is less cumbersome.

14. Uleat

Uleat Orc Warlord

I think I read somewhere that they enabled gpu performance monitoring in win 10.

Could it be that previously shared memory (memory-mapped files) is being forced to instantiate individual copies of files/drivers to meet the benchmark criteria?

15. Crowflow

Crowflow Orc Pawn

:/ I'll definitely have to check that out. Thanks guys!

16. Uleat

Uleat Orc Warlord

17. RorzeGaming

RorzeGaming Orc Pawn

I just started having a real problem with this, I cant run my 30 characters anymore. I can run 24 and my ram is at 90% with 16gig where I could run 36 no problem with ram at like 75%. My clients were at 250meg per and now they are at 500meg per, I cant figure it out cause it shows I got the windows fall update a month ago.

18. RorzeGaming

RorzeGaming Orc Pawn

This problem solved somehow.. I updated GPU and BIOS then my clients were fine and actually sit at 58megs per client.

Also, added my peq folder to my anti virus exceptions..

19. Hive

Mine can get down to the 40-60MB range, but that is only after being in the same zone for maybe 15-20 minutes (as long as that zone is not PoK or PoTranq). I'm not sure why it takes so long for the RAM usage to drop; I thought the drop would be more sudden. Does anyone know why it takes so long for it to go down? After I zone each client is at about 300-400MB and then after about 15 min it will be in the 40-80MB range.