Run all on one PC or add extra PC's?

Discussion in 'General' started by donnylad, Feb 6, 2019.

1. donnylad

donnylad Orc Centurion

So, I came back to this server from live after a 3 years break here so have been catching up over the last month.

My pc can handle roughly 36-42 toons before I start getting lag, and even then its not ram lag its CPU.

It got me thinking do I upgrade my CPU, or split the characters out onto more PC's.

Do people play on more then one PC here?

coming from live I have 3 beefy ish computers that one could 36-42 box, the other two could 12 box each easy, maybe more.

I use a program called multiplicity to scroll to the other PC's so this wouldn't be an issue with having lots of mice and keyboard etc.

I am unsure how the EQBCS would work on more then one PC, they all run from the same network switch though if that makes a difference.

My idea was to run my main warrior and the bulk of my toons on my main PC.

An off tank group on a second PC

and a separate DPS group on a 3rd PC, or on the 2nd if two is better then 3?

Or is it a lot easier to control it all form one PC?

I haven't done any raids yet, all I do is have 6 toons grouped to KS and the rest un grouped following me, so kills are super fast etc and I swap in toons to the main group whilst keeping my MT in there all the time to rack up AA.

I am just leveling one group now to 65 then I will have 4 groups at 70 and 3 groups at 65, I will then swap the 65's in with the warrior rotating LoTD's, like I did before etc.

Any tips or advice on this would be great, I could be better off getting a new processor or just using a 2nd pc etc.

Thanks!

2. tackleberry

tackleberry Orc Pawn

Before buying any hardware read barbatos super optimization guide, you may not need to buy anything.

With the right setup you can reduce resources used by something silly like 90%

I Started to get lag at around 42 chars as well after optimization I am running smooth like butter with 54

3. tibbs

tibbs Orc Centurion

EQBC is deliberately built to be able to accept commands from external IPs, just requires configuration.

I haven't done it myself, but I've been in guilds where someone just kept all his 50+ boxes online and people were able to cotnrol them when he was afk as a way to give his toons out to the guild, so I know it's possible.

4. donnylad

donnylad Orc Centurion

Sounds illegal!

Yeah I've done the optimization, it's only a 3.2 i5 quad core if I remember right.

I do click to my alts to loot stuff buy spells or equip stuff etc, so use full resolution on them all.

5. mackal

mackal Pyrilen Fireblade

This is a bannable offense.

6. chance

chance Enraged War Boar

7. donnylad

donnylad Orc Centurion

aye I personally dont do any of that stuff :p

This is my pc, it also has a 750 TI.

I can load prob 12-18 accounts without much lag in normal settings, but I havnt tried pushing it to the max. I just know I do get lag sometimes with 24 when running past other players in zones or in busy areas.

I joined Fiirst on a raid and there was 120 people in the room and I could barely move at times :/

Attached Files:

8. tackleberry

tackleberry Orc Pawn

750 TI does not matter eq uses almost no graphics card resources its all cpu and ram, long as your machine has at LEAST 32g you should be fine

another huge thing is creamo super cpu utility that spreads all chars evenly on your cores after they are all loaded up

9. chance

chance Enraged War Boar

eqaffinity batch file. (Located in the Creamo utilities folder) This moves all EQ instances accross all cores allowing the Computer to have more control for balancing instead of EQ client.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. tibbs

tibbs Orc Centurion

I wasn't saying you should do it on PEQ, was just pointing out that it's something I've seen done on LIVE, so I know it's possible to connect remote PCs through EQBC.

Definitely don't allow not-you to control your toons remotely.

11. chance

chance Enraged War Boar

I personally will control my own toons from my cell phone sometimes. I remote to the eqbcs on one of my main computers and run the /sys commands to run batch files to load up certain bots.

Much easier to tell Laptop 1 to load up 35 ... Laptop 2 to load up 37. and control 72 with the 1 i loaded on my cell phone

12. Ridiculous

Ridiculous Orc Pawn

/blink

Uhm. I want to ask you how to accomplish this, but I know it would certainly mean I never have a job ever again... at least not very long.

13. donnylad

donnylad Orc Centurion

I tried it on two PC's it auto set the EQBCS so that was fine, was nice to see my cleric on a second scree.

Might end up putting some characters on other PC's just because I love seeing whats happening

14. csmmk421

csmmk421 Orc Pawn

How do we adjust the Affinity to work for our cpu / core amount ?

15. Tharsis

Tharsis Orc Legionnaire

Check out this thread: http://www.projecteq.net/forums/index.php?threads/peq-configurator-and-eqswitch.15589/

Somewhere about halfway down:
    The formula uses binary math. The same math that turns IP addresses into 32 bit binary fields. To spread out all EQ instances across all CPU cores, you want to turn 11111111 (8 cores - 8 1's) into a binary number (255).