New guy questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Neopolitan, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Orc Pawn

In the early stages of planning to play here. My history in EQ is I played in 1999-2006. Left for WoW and have played on p99, p2002, TAKP and mangler. On mangler I 6 boxed with old work laptops and made it work with synergy app.

I’m a computer science major and part of what intrigues me here is the heavy CS influence this community seems to have. I’m completely new to MQ so I’ll have to learn that, I know the advanced guide is there to help me get started.

Aside from introducing myself here I have one question. Is this group setup a good one for a first group? It seems to allow me to be able to PL further groups once I get my first group started(consensus seems to be this is the play).

PEQ group

Warrior - think maybe SK but thinking my best geared tank being a warrior is advantageous? Would rather play SK for utility and flavor.

Cleric - no doy

Bard - duh

Mage - dps / DS

Monk - ez dps

Enchanter - CC

Any advice on this comp? No porter sucks but meh

2. acatu

acatu A Griffin

The question is will you be playing more than 18 long term? This will decide your group makeup.

If the answer is no then go

SHD
    Clr
    Shm
    Rog
    Brd
    Mnk

Setting up for a heavy melee dps this will level you the fastest and be the strongest comp in most situations. You can go war instead of SK this really only helps with tanking hard hitting bosses if you are duo raiding with someone they will most likely have a war already so no big deal. SKs are a better for xping since you can hold threat on multiple mobs easily. Enchanters are a waste of a slot at low levels since buffs are readily available in PoK and mez'ing isn't really necessary here.

If the answer is yes then go

Shd
    Clr
    Mag
    Rog
    Brd
    Mnk

Then for group 2 go with

Clr
    Enc
    Brd
    Wiz
    Wiz
    Wiz

This sets you up for PLing for a large number of toons you will need to get your first group to 70 with 300-400AA before you can start AE clearing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Orc Pawn

Wonderful advice. Exactly what I was after, the plan is to build a large box army. Plan to dive into MQ tonight.

4. bogre

bogre Orc Centurion

After that first group and I guess the pl group go with shaman bard monk berserker monk and put your rog in the 6th spot. This will be your main dps group and has really great synergy with auras and 2.0 epic clicks.

There is an allure to just load up on rogs and use poisons but all of my parsing and even compared to other players puts my group 4/5 top spots on pretty much every fight I've parsed. Even when you aren't burning a 2.0 monk does like 2x the damage as a rog.

Rogs will take you far but they really fall off once everyone else gets to mpg weapons and then anguish stuff makes it hard to beat.

Look up auras and epic clicks and decide for yourself though. There is a fairly good thread on raid composition of you search for it

5. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Orc Pawn

I did read that thread as well. At this point I’m pretty green and need to get my feet under me using these tools to play 6 toons. Never used MQ or EC3, seems like the learning curve isn’t too steep.

6. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Orc Pawn

Here is something I haven’t found yet.

I know race choices are whatever but what about when boxing 18+? Any considerations I might overlook having not boxed this many?

7. bogre

bogre Orc Centurion

Can make a shrink pot that shrinks entire grp.

So play what you like to look at. I just end up alternating stuff. Like human male monk then human female monk etc etc.

8. donnylad

donnylad Orc Centurion

I went gnome on as many as possible to save me shrinking!

Welcome to the server.

My advice, through my own errors is don't start a second, third fourth group etc, until the last has 250aa.

See you in game!

9. bogre

bogre Orc Centurion

No you will learn almost everything on your way to 70 with that first group. I came on the server never wanting to box more than 3 and by lvl 6 I had an entire grp going and never looked back. Clickit rtz clickyes assistme backoff are like all you really need to know besides filling out the inis until you raid

10. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Orc Pawn

I was thinking about trying to organize roles by race. Having a big fat ogre as the leader. I like alternating genders though. See you all in game soon!

11. bogre

bogre Orc Centurion

A lot of people have ogre sks and wars haha. See you soon. If you need help or pp for spells ask asuwe or qusi

12. clippy

clippy A Griffin

> I went gnome on as many as possible to save me shrinking!

My gnomes and halflings keep getting stuck everywhere, but there is illusions & levitation

13. Hive

Hive Froglok Krup Watcher

The only "rule" I would say is one bard per group.

There is no part of this that I agree with. The only way rogues "fall off" is that they are ridiculously overpowered until you get MPG and CoA raid weapons. Once you do, they aren't overpowered anymore, they are only still amazing.

I have found that human size characters get stuck less often and don't really require a shrink.

Welcome!

14. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Orc Pawn

Would you do two rogues instead of rogue monk for first crew?

15. Hive

Hive Froglok Krup Watcher

I would, but I don't think that's important. Monks are really good too. Also diversity is not only nice, it's more fun.

16. acatu

acatu A Griffin

You'll get a ton of rot monk gear easily. If you run around more than a day without some flayed barb legs I'd be surprised.

17. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Orc Pawn

Do I need to create new emails to make more than four login accounts?

18. acatu

acatu A Griffin

If you're using Gmail you can just add a .1 or +1 to the end of your email and it should still deliver to your main account but work for more than 3 accounts.

19. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Orc Pawn

Figured it out. Durrr

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  20. bogre

bogre Orc Centurion

I did two rogues to start. Being naked is tough so having consistent dps helps a ton. You could also do a chanter and charm your way up.