CPU Assistance

Discussion in 'General' started by Cryk, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Cryk

Cryk Orc Pawn

Hi everyone,

I've been having a recurring issue where my CPU seems to be limited to only playing 18 toons in a consistent manner. Whenever I try to load 24 or 30 I get bad rubber-banding/general issues. I've spoken with a few folks in game, most recently Karl who have tried to diagnose the issue but nothing has worked.

I'm hoping someone tech savy can maybe help with the problem, my conversation with Karl pretty much says everything, I'm willing to try anything to fix the problem even a fresh install and willing to answer any questions that may be left out.

One other thing to note, when I maximized that chat with Karl to how you guys see it, basically I pulled it up to the top of my monitor the main character I was on started to get huge lag, it's also noted in the chat. Don't know if it helps but I found it really strange. Any assistance/help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. eonEQemu

eonEQemu Froglok Krup Watcher

I have similar specs and have no issues running 24 (26 including bazaar bot and a utility bot). I've only tweaked 1 setting and that is view distance on my bots. (Since I don't normally view them anyway) Based on reading the attachment, it sounds like it may be something running on your pc. Is it windows 10? check this optimization guide. Don't run step 8(defrag), you have SSD and that would cause problems if you did. Then try process explorer and see if there are applications or services that are in the background running that don't need to be. You might have to figure out what some of them are. Example, I have punkbuster apps that run for another game, but I don't need them running for EQ. Also check task scheduler, applications will start up based on time and while gaming, you will not want anything to startup. There is a Dell fan application (get it on dell.com), that may or may not be useful. Another app is speedfan or cpu-z or have a similar app that can monitor temperatures, etc so you can tell what is heating up and when.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cryk

Cryk Orc Pawn

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm gonna try all of those when I get some time today. I was speaking with Mackal and Drogerin on discord last night and they thought the issue was me not having on pixel shaders and the in-game FPS limiter not being disabled. I fixed those two problems but it did not solve anything. Uleat chimed in and said I might be getting a swapfile bounce since my CPU was at 70% usage or so, I have no idea what this is.

I have a few more things I'm gonna try, running the army in a low resolution, moving the EQ folders to my main c drive which is an SSD (right now they play on a 1TB HDD). I'm also going to remove all the bags/inventory items that are non-essential on my box army per another suggestion.

4. Denzig

Denzig Orc Centurion

I too was experiencing high CPU usage recently that left the game mostly unplayable and spent weeks troubleshooting inside the game, hardware and windows tweaks. For reference, the issues started when I "upgraded" my EQ box from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Nothing helped and I assumed it was time for a new build, or at the very least a new processor.

Credit to Barbatos for suggesting what fixed it and I was once again able to box 48 with no problems: /bcaa //render bg 200

Of course YMMV, but I went from not being able to move to once again flowing smoothly. Main box dropped from ~5% cpu to ~1.5% and boxes dropped from ~2% each to ~.5% from that one setting change.

Type /render and note setting so you can revert if needed. This assumes you are running the mq2fps plugin.

Hope this either helps or points you in the right direction.

Den

5. Cryk

Cryk Orc Pawn

I am running MQ2FPS, tried the render and it did not help, seemed to make it a little worse. CPU sitting at 73% and RAM at 87% with 30 loaded.

6. chance

chance Enraged War Boar

Try making sure eqbcs is a high priority.

7. Cryk

Cryk Orc Pawn

So the issue appeared to be a faulty E3 install, or at some point in time I edited something I shouldn't have. I got a working copy from someone else and the issue resolved itself. Thanks to everyone who helped diagnose!