The Path to 70 - Any preferences?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ridiculous, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Ridiculous

Ridiculous Orc Pawn

So I got my second group to 70 and have my 'utility' toons at the expense of pure dps to level faster. In hindsight this was me overthinking the whole thing.

That said, I will be starting to get a 3rd (4th, 5th..) group soon enough and when I get bored with AA grinding and chasing gear I play my third group a bit.

I noticed that the hotzones vary in xp a bit. For example, I was playing in Crypt of Dalnir and getting 1.2-2.5% per kill for even(ish) cons mobs. Went to sell get spells etc, figured I would try LGuk. For mobs that were red/yellow I was getting .909/.606 per kill for 'technically' higher level mobs.

So .. two questions

Is there somewhere I can see the hotzone adjustments for determining optimum xp rate in a hotzone for whatever level?

Those who have leveled up multiple groups - Is there a path you prefer? Do you chase Hotzones? PBAE? Split-in high DPS toons to level 1-5 other toons faster?

Just trying to get a feel for what works for everyone else.

Thanks and Cheers!

2. clippy

clippy A Griffin

For xp mods, one listing is http://mqemulator.net/zones.php?x=x...tart=0&orderby=zone_exp_multiplier&order=DESC
    see the "XP bonus for this zone" column to the right.

For fast XP tho, other factors matter more, such as
    - how fast do mobs respawn? the shorter respawns, the less downtime
    - how much hp on mobs? less hp = faster kills = more xp
    - how crowded is the place?

I leveled my first 2 groups at once from level 10+ or so, and rotated in those needing xp the most, keeping others ungrouped.
    At 70 i had like 3 solid rogues in xp group at all times and rotated in other toons.

Good places to xp for the first team is like
    - old sebilis (juggs are dark blue to 70, low hp, need keys)
    - the deep (level 50-60 mobs, hotzone sometimes)

Good places to xp when you got a few groups going is like
    - pop zones like ponightmare, halls of honor, bastion of thunder, plane of storms, crypt of decay (mobs have more hp but with more toons shouldnt be a problem)
    - barindu (hotzone sometimes)

Elemental planes has high xp mod but long respawn and spread out mobs. Only Plane of Fire is worth the xp grind I think. Some people xp in plane of air too since its hotzone sometimes.
    (but it's like 40 separate flags to get elemental access).

Kod'Taz is hotzone but hard hitters. Could be great XP when you can handle it eventually.

OOW zones
    Walls of Slaughter, MPG, RCoD and RSS all great xp spots with loot upgrades. When you run a few groups it should be pretty easy. Not recommended for first group of 70s

Good places to pl additional groups:
    - gulf of gunthak (level 20-30?, fast respawn, low hp)
    - durlak harbor ( level 40-50?, fast respawn, low hp)
    - crypt of nadox (level 60?, fast respawn, low hp)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  3. Ridiculous

Ridiculous Orc Pawn

Quality info - Thank you!

4. CE2JRH

CE2JRH Orc Warlord

I'm selecting for nostalgia almost entirely.
    My first group was Crushbone to 20, Unrest to 35, Mistmoore to 45, Lguk dead side to 51
    My second group was Blackburrow to 20, Runneye to 35, Lguk live side to 51
    My third group is Befallen (8-25), Najena (12-30) (Dalnir 30-38) Kaesora (38-42) SolB 42-50
    My fourth group will be The Warrens (7-25), SolDungeonA (25-40), City of Mist (40-50)
    My 5th group will be Kurn's Tower (10-30) --- Tower of Frozen Shadow (26-55), The Rygorr Keep in the Eastern Wastes (30-40), Crystal Caverns (30-45),

I don't have any iconic zones picked out for the 6th group yet; I'm open to suggestions. Maybe Velketors in there somewhere?

51-60 will be Karnors with 1 group, Charasis with one group, Sebilis with one group, Chardok with one group, and The Hole with one group.
    60-65 will be revamped or late release dungeons; Cazic Thule, SolC, ChardokB, Droga, Veksar, Plane of Hate, Plane of Mischief.

I don't have a 65-70 plan yet, but at least one group will be in Infected Paw probably

I find running a full group + lesson of the devoted, leveling feels fast and easy by comparison basically regardless of where I go, with the slowest levelling I see being about 1 level per hour, which still feels plenty fast.

5. Ridiculous

Ridiculous Orc Pawn

Damn. A level an hour! Yeah, I am def doing something wrong lol. At 45+ I am getting maybe 2-3 a night. Though I just got keyed for Seb and once in I went from 55-60 in about 4 hours, but that is because I am at a point where I can PBAE (Wiz/Mag/Mag) and I have my 70 Enchanter there stunning. See how that lasts after 60 tomorrow (/today).

6. Malkayah

Malkayah Orc Pawn

My personal path has varied a bit between my groups, as well, and I will admit I have not tried to maximize XP/hr after about lvl 35 (Tutorial 1-10, Kurn's 10-15, Paludal 15-20, ToFS 20-30, Gunthak 30-35), instead from there I've tried to follow the path of zonewide drops to level and gear at the same time. So far this has taken me through Dulak (Shoulder), Akheva (Charm), Nadox (Earring) & Riwwi (Cloak). I stopped leveling my main group at 60 and started a second group to play with my son. The second group is now 55, and my next plan is to head to Veksar to farm Soulscream belts for all my melee bots, while mobs there should still be most DB/LB for my second group. After getting both groups to 62 I'll have lots of options from Noble's Causeway, Ferubi, HOH, BoT, RCoD and more. At 65+ it'll be time for WoS (can't wait to have a BoD for my SK), MPG & Paw. I also plan to do some GoD progression as well...gotta get those AC augs from KT.

So, it won't be the fastest route to 70, but I'm enjoying spending time in some zones I rushed around in the past, and the thought of going back to zones to mass farm grey cons at 70 seemed like a waste. It's been years since I spent any time in Veksar, for example, and that was mostly just to run in for a 1.5 hit and gate back out. Same for GoD progression...I only ever did the minimal progression for raid flags, and I don't remember ever actually doing the Ikky group trials.

I may do things a little different for group 3...at that point I should have 2 well established groups with gear and AAs, so it will be less essential to gear them as they level, because I should be able to just drag them into WoS/MPG/RSS and gear them directly at 65+...we'll see though...that will likely be a bit further down the line.

Those are my thoughts for now...definitely open to ideas/suggestions for fun targets along the way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. acatu

acatu A Griffin

Kurns -> Unrest -> Gunthak -> CoD -> 70.

This is the fastest route for a decently established team. It is also still a very fast route for someone just with buffs from high levels and keeps you in places you have fast access to rebuffing, with the exception of Unrest but you should only be there for 2-3 zone clears and one round of buffs almost lasts that long. If you have a zone cleared then /camp and wait for repops to preserve lessons.

A decently established team is defined as having at least:

2 Wiz
    1 Enc
    1 Mag
    Shd
    Brd
    Clr
    Shm

I'm fairly certain 70 can be achieved well below 8 hours of /played possibly even less than 4 if you are diligently camping between pulls.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  8. Skream

Skream Orc Legionnaire

I thought you couldn't get into CoD until 55? Gunthak beach really starts to bottom out at 45 in my experience so have you moved further in?

BTW what Acatu is saying here is your 'exp group' is the 2 WIZ, 1 MAG already established and any 3 n00bers. You will have to swap n00bers in and out.

9. acatu

acatu A Griffin

I push thru gunthak till 46, you do the beach as 1 pull and the caves as a second and the beach should repop by then. Till CoD you use shd clr bard(70) mag I'm one group and all 6 new toons in another. You pull with Shd and dread gaze once or twice then pulse chords of dissonance once on your new bard that should be in your lowbie group. Once it ticks you spin up DS on Shd from mage and bard (70) and start sitting till the mobs die from DS. The one pulse of chords will give the low level group all the xp because DS dmg is considered neutral dmg. I also equip a mug or something on my Shd so no ripostes to steal xp. I snag a grummus kill at 46 and hit CoD and zone AE with enc + 2 wiz using Shd with decrepit skin and dread gaze to hold most aggro till enc stun lock hits.

10. Skream

Skream Orc Legionnaire

Ahh .. Grummus was what I was missing. Thanks bud.

11. Eastwood

Eastwood Orc Centurion

This is a pretty fun little nostalgia plan you got here.

12. CE2JRH

CE2JRH Orc Warlord

I actually have been writing notes on how it went for each group. I might post them, but people might not care.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Eastwood

Eastwood Orc Centurion

I would care, theory crafting a progression experience has been on my mind for years.

14. slith

slith Orc Pawn

I'm not sure if I missed it but I'd ve curious to read your notes.

15. CE2JRH

CE2JRH Orc Warlord

nah, I'll link them in a signature. I plan to make a post once I've completed all the epic 1.0's, but that might still be 6 months-2-3 years away depending on my play rate.

16. shalll

shalll Orc Centurion

I have found when you hit 40 you can goto the deep. I can level from 40 to 60 with aoe killing in about a hour. It's good to have a lvl 60 wizard to keep around just for this. If you do not have the ability to do so, Nadox was a decent path, fast repops but they hit much harder.

17. eonEQemu

eonEQemu Froglok Krup Watcher

I recently completed all the 1.0s. Fear Golems are probably going to be the bottleneck, but it is doable.