Tech Help / RAM Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Vubbers, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Vubbers

Vubbers Orc Pawn

RAM seems to be a bottleneck at the moment if I want to expand my crew and keep decent graphic settings, so was hoping some of you who are a bit more techy than me could help me out...I'm not not techy, just not super techy :)

I currently run an ASUS ROG laptop with 16gb of DDR4 2400 RAM on an i7-7700HQ processor. From what I can see there is an empty memory slot so I should be able to pop the bottom off and add some more RAM, but my question is about the amount. Going off this page the max that it could handle is 64mb, so it seems as though I should be able to add up to a 32gb stick and the processor would still make use of it? (you don't have to match the 16 to another 16 right?)

https://www.ubergizmo.com/products/lang/en_us/devices/intel-i7-7700hq/

I'm reading in some other places though that the chipset (Intel HM175) may only support up to 32gb total? So looking at buying something I'm thinking about one of these two:

32gb

or

16gb

Would really appreciate any feedback!

Ceowulff/Vubbers

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. eonEQemu

eonEQemu Froglok Krup Watcher

How many toons are you running? Did you try the optimization guide?

3. sha

sha Orc Pawn

Running a micro login for the chars that are automated helps.

4. acatu

acatu A Griffin

Vubbers you can run https://www.crucial.com/store/systemscanner?cm_re=homepage-_-hero-_-combobox-scanner-btn and crucial will scan your system and tell you what memory will work for your system and they 100% guarantee it will work.

You can run unmatched models without issue most the time if you start noticing blue screens after you install it, you may have a problem. You can also run memtest86 once you install it over night and it will make sure you shouldn't have a problem.

5. sha

sha Orc Pawn

Typically you want to match at least the voltage and timings of the existing stick of ram at least, if you can get the exact stick then even better. If you exceed clock of existing it will downclock it automatically. If you post the exact model of ROG, I might be able to help further.

6. Vubbers

Vubbers Orc Pawn

Thanks for the suggestions all! Ended up throwing in a 32gb stick and it worked fine. Processor seems to be the real hold up at this point. I haven't gone the full optimization route yet since I didn't want to strip down all the bots (currently playing 24, trying to expand to 36) but was planning on getting a new comp anyways sometime soon. Might be getting a new 8 core set up so we'll see how that goes!

7. acatu

acatu A Griffin

If you are just upgrading to play EQ I strongly suggest buying a used workstation off Ebay. Look at used HP Z620's or newer models, 8 core 16 thread Xeon's with 64GB of ram for $400. That's everything but a GPU in one pop. Buy a used GTX 1060 off ebay for $80-$100 and you can 54 box no problem for around $500.

8. Cryk

Cryk Orc Pawn

Make sure your PC isn't overheating, I play on a laptop as well and it took me two years to finally buy a $27 cooling pad which solved every single problem I had. My PC can smoothly run 36 and I suspect I could do 54 if I wanted, I run 16GB and a Intel I7-8750H. Also make sure you are using the EQAffin.bat tool Creamo made.