Guide? Gearing Beyond Apollo's Guide

Discussion in 'General' started by Abigayle, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Abigayle

Abigayle Orc Pawn

Since I have started playing on PEQ, I have taken a slow and methodical approach to the game. Solo player, then 3 box, then full group for a long time, now finally boxing 18. I have used Apollo's gearring guide as a roadmap for the whole journey and I'm getting to the point now where I am maxed at the end of the guide. Now, I know there is more out there, but no clear progression (at least not as clear as the aforementioned guide).

I'd like to use this thread to sort out the progression from single group gearing through endgame raids to BiS. I know there are a lot of variables (size of boxed group, gearing, flagging, etc.) but let's assume that all gear is more or less of the quality mentioned at the end of Apollo's guide, it's a full raid or can be a full raid with friends easily, and flagging is going to happen simultaneous with gear progression.

What are your thoughts? There must be typical stopping points, farmable targets, etc along the way to regularly farming CoA.

2. CE2JRH

CE2JRH Orc Warlord

3. apollo

apollo Protector of Zek

Haven't been on in a bit, but I'm still kicking around:

I have a couple of classes done as far as a completely BiS gearset; though it's worth noting that @ endgame not everyone spec's exactly the same (especially when it comes to Augments). I went for hit points over AC in this era, since Tacvi is no longer endgame (OoW is a lot more spell-based damage over raw melee), and also because Hit Points have no softcap (unlike AC). The only exception is Shield slot (since shields bypass Softcap in combat calcs).

Classes that I've done so far are:
    - Berserker
    - Paladin*
    - Cleric
    - Wizard*

I only have two of those above classes actually fully obtained (*); but they're all spec'd to maximize relevant stats as well as hitting BiS for all relevant Focus Effects.

My intention before this unexpected hiatus (I shall return eventually) was to acquire full (and I mean FULL) BiS gearsets on all of the classes I play and then just post their Magelo links for reference.

I suppose a different format would probably be less time-consuming and thus help more people. I may dig around on this, but for now if you want a full BiS gearset (augs included), my profile signature to Apollo's Magelo is a completed Paladin (even clickies; which now that I think about it is another thing that can differ depending on a number of factors @ endgame)

As far as progressive gearsets thru each raid tier, that's a much larger endeavor (as if BiS wasn't enough), but I may have some time to play around with a concept like this if there's enough expressed interest.

4. Tharsis

Tharsis Orc Legionnaire

With 18, you have a lot more options. I'm not at your level yet but I know some paths beyond Apollo's gearing guide. I'm not going to rank them since I'm not there yet, there are too many parts, and it totally depends on your 18.

Planes of Power Progression - PoTime loots are still yummy, if you can clear it.
    Gates of Discord Progression - More yummy loots. Some incomparable class specific items in Tacvi. Look in e3 sample inis for the names of these items.
    GoD progressive questlines - BiC, Tongues
    LDoN raids - I think this is for specific items. (highest AC shield augment in the game?)
    maxed LDoN charm augment - it's the only charm augment in the game
    Epic 1.5s
    CoA access
    CoA augment runs
    CoA raids
    class specific clickies or useful items - Shadowsong Cloak for bards

Typical stopping points:
    <some level of gear allowing you to access Qvic - I don't know what that is>
    Qvic goats
    1.5s
    CoA augments

Personally, I'm interesting in knowing things like:
    If a 6 box crew with 100 AA is RSS and MPG group trial geared, how much of that list can they achieve? 200aa? 300aa? 400aa? 500aa? Repeat for 12 box. Repeat for 18 box.

What are the bottlenecks in PoP progression? GoD progression? Bottlenecks being the events you have to practice and practice and practice at.

What paths are NOT worth spending time on? ex: PoP elemental gear is very dated - it's so much easier and faster to max out LDoN gear.

List of relevant focus effects, by class. What is critical? What is eye candy? What sits unused?

5. apollo

apollo Protector of Zek

Yeah, it's probably worth noting that I only run 12 toons when I play, and therefore I don't have every class covered obviously.

I think gearing pretty much hits its stride once you begin working on the endgame zones for the most recent expansion or two, but before that yes there are definite gear selections which can change depending on your group compositions.

I guess that's partly what steered me away from this when I was making up those guides. There's no real easy way to make every relevant bit of info concise. I'd say once you start in on OoW though, things become a lot simpler. For example, in GoD the stacking for Shielding/Avoidance is very much a restricting process in some cases -- by the time you start in on MPG Raid trials and Anguish, however, max Shielding/Avoidance on relevant classes becomes an assumption, and the gear choices beyond that largely highlight min/maxing every possible stat.

I'll work this week on some preliminary tables just to kind of gauge what size a project it'll be. I'd welcome any input. If I can't get the gearing set exactly how it is on the Gearing Guide, then I can at least make a post about key focus effect stuff you may encounter for certain classes (stuff like never, ever take off your Qvic Berserker gloves -- not for *anything*).

Would a general guide for sizing up loot be more valuable than trying to list it all slot by slot for each class? I'm inclined to say yes except in the case of Full Endgame, where I think the magelos can shine more.

6. Tharsis

Tharsis Orc Legionnaire

Shielding and avoidance....

I'm taking the OoW path. My shielding is 0 and my avoidance is 0. OoW 1.5 armor lacks both. A cursory glance at the gearing guide shows a total of 2% shielding (3% for paladins). No avoidance listed. Going from none to maxed is quite a journey. Maybe shielding/avoidance comes with the shift from Type7 aug'd gear to Type8 aug'd gear.

7. apollo

apollo Protector of Zek

Yes, Shielding and Avoidance start appearing on type 8 gear. They also (for whatever reason) don't show up as such when using Zam or similar sites to look them up.

Magelo does far better here, which is why I wanted to get actual Magelos of "Full Endgame" toons, so that things like that don't get forgotten. Shielding/Avoidance are *easily* the 2 most important Tank stats (more so even than Hit Points/AC). Most of the raids in Tacvi/MPG/COA are spec'd difficulty-wise with the assumption that the main tank is at max for both Shielding and Avoidance.

8. doeda

doeda Orc Centurion

get the chain BP from the Ikky1-4 from the minis raid trials (every 8 hours), will last your chain users until CoA t2 chest

farm Uqua minis (every 8 hours)

Summoner's Ring is doable with 18-24 (every 8 hours)

do MPG group trials every time you get a chance

RSS drops EP~ quality loot

Farming Pox in Barindu (every 8 hours) for odds and ends, Vxed for +100 gear

9. Abigayle

Abigayle Orc Pawn

This is already super useful! Thank you everyone!

CE2JRH, I was actually thinking of adding your post to my original post. Taking that approach and having some more clarification on which targets are best to go after and such is kind of what I was asking about to start with. Your list is a great resource to start with though!

Apollo, first off I think your first gear guide is absolutely amazing. The BiS catalog idea would be super useful to know what the end goals are . I'd imagine you could speed it along if you enlisted help from Chance or other PEQ big wigs. I'm sure they have quite a few classes with BiS. As to the guide to sizing up loot, I think that would be incredibly useful. Really any information you have, be it just sizing up gear, BiS, or just what to look for in gear would be incredibly useful.

Tharsis, just that list is really helpful. I am definitely going to look into a lot of that more. I think all of your questions are really pertinent and I'd like the answers to those as well. I do think though I may have part of the answer to the first of your questions. My main group of 6 is geared to MPG group trials / RSS or better (my main tank is mostly CoA gear) and max AAs across the board. I can't really do anything on that list with them alone. I suspect I may be able to do the Qvic goats but it would take absolutely forever, but I've not tried. Here is a great post talking about 2 groupable targets: http://www.projecteq.net/forums/index.php?threads/looking-for-raid-target-suggestions.16536/

Doeda, those are some good targets as well. Thank you for your imput!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CE2JRH

CE2JRH Orc Warlord

As I do stuff on PEQ with 24 I plan to annotate it, but I've got a pretty busy life so it's a slow process.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. doeda

doeda Orc Centurion

with 24 70s, 500+AA's, you should be able to get yourself into Txeveu/PoTime yourself, considering I did GoD progression with just ornate defiant gear and roughly 800+AA's on my core 20 (don't ask why I chose 20 instead of 18 or 24) when I started. Able to do all the epic 1.5 prequest/epic fights, tank was geared with LDoN merchant armor (2k points), dps had LDoN merchant weapons/armor, PoP progression is also doable with that size. AA>gear

12. bogre

bogre Orc Centurion

You can definitely do qvic goats with 6 and a coat geared tank. If you get a shaman, bard with at least epic 1.5 and have a monk / zerker with a decent weapon 1/1 ratio for monk they just burn so high with innerflame + speed focus and the added bonus of zerk aura, shaman epic crit and bard accuracy epic click that it really makes things quite doable with 6-12.

As for best in slot items it can be quite misleading. Zerker qvic gloves are a great example because of the focus but tacvi +accuracy will be much better until you have enough accuracy to drop them for the focus on qvic. So sure qvic gloves are bis but really only after you are bis in every other slot (meaning max accuracy)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Abigayle

Abigayle Orc Pawn

Now, that is the stuff I would like to know. How does one figure out stuff like that? I mean, that right there is part of the progression of gear that I was curious about.

14. bogre

bogre Orc Centurion

For melee dps weapon ratio and accuracy increase your dps tremendously, because the vast majority of your dps is through normal hits.

I would farm the cleave and fero items from paw and use those as well. Unless you can buy augs with focus 3 on them.

There isn't a world where I would sacrifice accuracy for combat effects. Now once you are able to do coa you can max acc and ce but as you are progressing accuracy is the most important stat outside of weapon ratio. Shaman and bard epics are probably the most important to get early (besides cleric).

I use raidloot to find items. I think you have to search for heroic dex because the modern game got rid of the accuracy, combat effects etc and combined them into heroic stats.

Tanks need to max avoidance and shielding but once again pretty hard until you can clear mpg a d get some coa stuff.

The other thing.. is that ideally you would find another 12-18 boxer and raid with them. Most events I have the dps for but offtanking and picking adds up with only 12 becomes a problem especially if my bard or something is on ramp (which it usually is).

15. Tharsis

Tharsis Orc Legionnaire

Playing that class on Live during this era... or being familiar with the forums used back then. Unfortunately, not all the info sites survived. This may be a discussion worthy of it's own thread.
    thesafehouse.org (rogue)
    shamanscrucible.com (shaman)
    http://www.monkly-business.net/forums/index.php (monk)

16. clippy

clippy A Griffin