DoN bottlenecks

Discussion in 'General' started by chewbakhan, Sep 19, 2023.

1. chewbakhan

chewbakhan Orc Pawn

I'm just tossing this out there... but the tier progression drops that drop in open world zones would be much better suited to be added even RARELY to the drop table of instanced versions of the zone... we got 100's of people at a time battling to try to get (as an example) a very rare drop of impure goblin bloods x378.. in the 30 minutes I've ever seen the zone empty I pulled rounds of the zone and got 3 bloods...

Honest question... would it ever be considered? mqemulator suggests it's in the instanced drop tables but I ran a few of those and saw it wasn't dropping... that's not live like... but maybe even if a grace period was established for those of us who are just trying to get back spells we had a few weeks ago. I would even be cool with even MORE rarely dropping in instanced than this massive bottleneck we have now. It makes people farming PoP gods for the dope 75hp gear seem minor in comparison.

**Please don't be that ONE guy who's unemployed and banged out 5 days of gaming straight with random naps and piles of redbull.. beating everyone to progression to come in and be like "I don't see the problem I thought it was perfectly fine!" ;) - it's a problem

• Like Like x 1
  2. chewbakhan

chewbakhan Orc Pawn

I say a lot of this jokingly but I legitimately feel this bottleneck is ridiculous

3. Trust

Trust GM

As PEQ is the template server for vanilla EQEmu the quests are written to be accurate to live.

Per: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3296

The database very closely matches magelo drop rates:

upload_2023-9-19_7-29-1.png

4. chewbakhan

chewbakhan Orc Pawn

Oh I get that... I even stated, "that's not live like" which upon re-reading I can see could be misinterpreted as me saying PEQ isn't like live... but I was writing it the way I would have said it... and I meant "I understand that it is NOT live like to do this...." but there have been many tweaks that weren't 100% true to live.. and besides.. live didn't have 30x 54 man teams struggling for the same rare drop 378x multiplied by how many teams are doing it.. NOT TO MENTION people aren't JUST looking for impure goblin bloods, there are also other quests for different stages of progression making this a nearly impossible step unless everyone either stops playing or if it were instanced out. It's the culture of this server to have multiple multi-box teams... and this code serves as the base for everyone else... that's understood.... I just can't see how this would be an unfair advantage in any way. We had so much taken away... this would just be a nudge to earn it back the proper way.. with as little time as I get to play... this could take years. I also understand that's nobodies concern but my own.. so why should anyone care ;) I'm just stating from my perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  5. chewbakhan

chewbakhan Orc Pawn

Now if the goal is to make it completely true to live, limit boxing to 3 and have people work together to earn the drops for their characters.. then the current design is great... but it isn't aligned to the culture of the server as it has evolved. I don't want to make it sound like I'm not extremely appreciative of the efforts that have gone into things.. but I've talked to a lot of people who felt similar for this ONE spot. I wish more would chime in so I didn't just seem like some random rambling idiot lmao

• Like Like x 1
  6. CE2JRH

CE2JRH Orc Warlord

Honestly, this is just a good time to play Baldur's Gate 3 and come back to PEQ in 3-6 months once the expansion isn't so new and people working on things are a bit more spaced out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. chewbakhan

chewbakhan Orc Pawn

I hate that my crazy brain just cannot accept this logic... it's like.. I want to play EQ and have no interest in anything else.. even though BG3 is one of the most amazing games I've ever played

8. tibbs

tibbs Orc Centurion

The other angle is that DoN content is just another piece of content within a vast expanse of available progression content. To the point, DoN was designed (from my perspective) as a supplemental, rather than a purely additive, expansion to OoW. The bulk of the expansion helps fill gear slots for up and comers, and can be completed at lvl 65ish, or at the very least well before tacvi/MPG/CoA gear.

The real "bottleneck" here imo is the release timeline, allowing PEQ (with additional out-of-era powercreep) sit on OoW content for 5+ years before releasing DoN. I don't consider that a problem cuz I consider it a blessing overall that we even got this far with eqemu (thank you all)! But imo, if you're looking for the "reason" why these bottlenecks happen, that'd be it for me.

Maybe unsatisfying answer, but to the point, WFH is a currently OoW 3-box limit no-mq2 server that better matches the "live" feel mentioned a few posts ago, and im sure DoN isn't that far off for them. PEQ is the enjoyable, pressure-testable sandbox baseline. seems like WFH has positioned itself as the "legit", necessarily-cooperation-based, culturally nostalgic partner