Tradeskill bot: Thoughts/opinions

Discussion in 'General' started by Remi, Oct 29, 2023.

?

Good idea?

1. Yes

43.8%
  2. No

56.3%
  1. Remi

Remi Orc Pawn

I'd like the thoughts and opinions on scripting a tradeskill bot.
    This would not be publicly released.
    I have toons with max tradeskills, including +tradeskill items.
    Tradeskill items will not be included.
    It would be a free combine as long as all materials were provided.

Ultimately, I will need to see multiple GM clearly expressed approvals within this thread before I put any effort into the task.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  2. CE2JRH

CE2JRH Orc Warlord

I voted no;

PEQ is a test development server to work on the Everquest Database on behalf of the wider EQEmu community. It works best when people attempt to experience a wide variety of content; in the process of levelling 4 groups through non-standard zones I found a dozen bugs - incorrect factions, undead mobs fleeing, missing loot, emotes spamming for each character and resetting instantly, wrong spawn times, mobs harm touching twice, quests not working, out of era drops, broken procs, wrong faction hits...and this is before hitting 65.

Tradeskills are a thing that pushes people into weirder zones and get people testing more content, and thus its best for server development principles if people do it themselves - and people can already OOC for single combines here and there.

3. Remi

Remi Orc Pawn

My bad for not clarifying in my original post (and I will update): the tradeskill components will not be included other than things like non-stick frying pan, tanaan smithing hammer, etc. This means all farming remains the responsibility of the individual looking for help. Additionally, I have the +tradeskill items that others may not for those lvl 300+ combines.

Similar to the existing bots (Bocoh, Loans, Onecopper, etc), these are all things that can be achieved by an OOC.

4. CE2JRH

CE2JRH Orc Warlord

Yeah, I think I got that - what I meant is the process of farming various tradeskill progressions is going to lead people off the beaten path, and to discover bugs in the process.

5. eonEQemu

eonEQemu Di`zok Warlord

Through all the tradeskilling I've done I've found quite a few tradeskill bugs as well as other bugs while farming items. I've reported them and they were fixed. Perhaps a limited version, like skill level 150 or 200 max perhaps. That way tradeskills won't be trivialized. Also there are recipes for DoN that are yet to be added. 2cp

6. tibbs

tibbs Orc Centurion

I'd only vote yes for specific recipes, rather than a generic bot:

aka, a bot that combines PoP or qvic armor mats sounds great, but an arbitrary free "give me items and ill do the combine" for ANY recipe seems unnecessary and kills the point of a lot of content experimentation and exploration.

7. chance

chance Enraged War Boar

I would say yes ... with limits.

-ONLY allow VERY specific combines that have been WELL tested for year.
    -Minimum skill level of 100. Anything lower the players needs to do themselves.
    High level would need to be MUCH more specific.
    Example:
    POP Armor
    Qvic Armor
    Magnetic Armor.

-I would also include a limit or lockout timer or something, every 20 combines ...I'm tired takes a nap ... Will return in 2 hours.

The server rules say ...

"4. Creation of any macros, programs, scripts, etc to automate certain aspects of the game while unattended is prohibited(without authorization). This includes but is not limited to combat situations, quests, healing others etc."

"- You may use a macro to aid you in multi boxing, provided you are at the keyboard and are in control of all of your characters. However, repeative game aspects such as tradeskills and quests MUST be done without the aid of automatic systems. In NO situations can a macro completely play for you. (The e3 autocombine macro is acceptable to use assuming you manually farm and collect the materials needed)"

"- If you think it's a grey area you should probably not do it."

"- User created and submitted macros that are approved on the ProjectEQ forums are exempt to this rule, provided they are used EXACTLY as they appear on the forum, with NO code or usage alterations."

If you do decide to move forward with it .. I would throw together an outline of EXACTLY what you want the macro to do, with limitations and ask for approval BEFORE posting the code for approval.

8. cream

cream GM Staff Member

Very opposed to this and I see no redeemable angle of "but ill only do x or y"
    1. its automating out a subset of content, which doesnt grow on trees
    2. it ruins the ability of players using tradeskills to make plat selling completed products

9. CE2JRH

CE2JRH Orc Warlord

Yeah, I did spend tonnes of plat and time levelling alchemy, jewelcrafting and smithing to do Omens of War augments, which did make me a good chunk of plat.