Crashing to desktop upon 'Entering World'

Discussion in 'General MQ2' started by Khirc, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Khirc

Khirc Orc Pawn

Hello folks

So i've been trying to get MQ2 + E3 to work for little over a week now. Im residing on Lazarus server and im running off the RoF2 client. My folders are E:/Games/E3_ROF2 and E:/Games/EverQuestEMU. The MQ2 is the Creamo version from PEQ grand creation with the approved plugins compiled.

Here is the problem.

I crash to desktop whenever i try and log into the world. The loading bar pops up after pressing 'Enter World', and run through twice, and then kicks me to desktop, just as its about to put me into the world.

Here is what i've tried / made sure

• Run everything as admin
    • No sub folders
    • * 'Read-only' on correct setting
    • Running MQ2 + E3 + EQ off C:/ (OS drive) and E:/ (1tb ssd gaming drive)
    • Clean install of windows 10 (2 times). No unwanted software. Drivers and updates are current
    • Run through the process of installing, getting started and launching with several people (Gloat, Dhaymion, Tibbs). They confirm that theres no user error, in terms of installing to correct paths nor launch sequence
    • I've tried running MQ2 + E3 THEN Everquest and the other way around. Everquest THEN MQ2+ E3. The ladder freezes my client and kicks me to desktop when MQ2 loads.
    • I can have EQBCS running + Everquest just fine. MQ2 is the issue it seems
    • I downloaded and installed Windows C++ Redist for x64. This moved the process along. I actually got into Norrath this time for about 2 - 3 seconds before it kicked me. Furthermore EQBCS logged the following: -- Client connection: fd340 -- Khirc has joined the server. -- Khirc has left the server.
    • Whitelisted Macroquest.exe, eqgame.exe and eqbcs.exe in windows firewall
    • Disabled firewall completely.
    • **Downloaded and ran MQemulator Classic Build
    • Tried downclocking my CPU to 3.8GHz. It was previously 4.01GHz.
    • Cleaned up the macroquest_default file to a basic setup (with help from another user).

* I couldnt get the little black dot in 'Read-Only' to disappear, no matter what i did (or the internet said i should do). So after 3 hours with Microsoft Support (figured it was admin rights), there was still no solution. I made 2 clean installs, to no avail. Last night i was told by 2 (two) sources that they have the black dot in 'read-only' and they can run MQ2 just fine.

** Seems like the pure MQ builds are freezing up the client completely

I've gotten a ton of help from people with much more patience than me, and they have been terrific! But still havn't been able to get it to work.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to spend some time on this.

Regards,

//Khirc

--- 19/1 Updated list on things i did/tried

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  2. Drogerin

Drogerin GM Staff Member

sounds like an E3 data issue, the file does not like being large.

3. Khirc

Khirc Orc Pawn

Hey Drogerin

What file isit? I've got a completely new copy of e3_rof2. No data has been accumulated at all as I haven't played with it at all. Have been unable to.

Thank you

Edit: Just checked. Nothing in the E3 folders are above 75kb. What is considered "being large" in this situation?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  4. Drogerin

Drogerin GM Staff Member

e3.data.ini in your macro ini folder, the file is notorious for crashing, most people just wipe it and start anew when it gets large from playing on multiple servers.

5. Khirc

Khirc Orc Pawn

Mine is 5kb as of writing this

6. chance

chance Enraged War Boar

Your server may not support this mq2 build. ( I dont know nor play on it.) - First is your server a PEQ legit server? Does it use this MQ2 build? Does it have 10 spots for bags in your main for your inventory?

The e3_data file Drog mentioned ... open the file .. go below the directory section and clear everything besides your directories.

Then in windows 10 ... you will also get a read-only issue ( shows read only and dont know if it is ) .... assume its read only .. turn it off ... repeat for all files in the folder itself ... repeat for each folder and files in it .... ( for the entire mq2 directory. ) ( Also look at your rof2 directory as well )

Unload any unnecessary plugins ( macroquest2.ini )

http://mqemulator.net/downloads.php < Try another rof2 mq2 build if none of this resolved the issue.

7. Khirc

Khirc Orc Pawn

Hello Chance - Thanks for getting back to me. I will try and answer to the best of my knowledge. I will execute a step of the time, so i can try and pinpoint what solved it (if any)

1.) The Project Lazarus is on RoF2 and i think its an approved PEQ server. It has 10 bags in my main inventory.

2.) I'm not sure how to check if the MQ2 build is supported. I've downloaded E3_RoF2 version 7

3.) As mentioned above, I've tried to un-check the read-only dot on my folders. I can click it off, apply it and close properties. But when i open properties again, it's re-ticked itself. I've spent 3 hours with Microsoft Support to try and solve this, as i thought it was initially an admin problem. Verified from Microsoft, it isnt. I've also done 2 clean installs, in order to try and solve it, if it was broken/tainted software issue. To no avail. (Sidenote: I've confirmed that people on Lazarus server all play with a black dot in the 'read-only' box without any issues)

4. ) ---> Deleted everything past 'paths' in the 'e3 macros inis' - e3_data. ---> Still kicked me to desktop after loading.

5.) ---> Un-checked every folder in E3_RoF2 individually. Albeit it re-enabled itself again with a black dot. ---> Kicked me to desktop

6.) Disabled all plugins in the Macroquest.ini, but mq2eqbc and mq2hud (i've got no idea what these or any of the others do (im completely new to mq2)). ---> Kicked me to desktop

7.) Downloaded a new build. Went with RoF2 + PEQ The Grand Creation. This version does not have the e3 folders. ---> Didnt kick me to desktop, but froze completely, so i had to close EQ down in task manager. I could replicate this 3 times.

NOT running e3 made a difference between getting kicked to desktop and freezing completely.

Thank you for giving it a go. I appreciate it.

8. Dhaymion

Dhaymion Orc Pawn

Just wanted to confirm. About 75% of the server is using this MQ2 build along with E3. There are also a few masochists who use redguides compile. Khirc has the same problem with crashing to desktop with either build.

9. Khirc

Khirc Orc Pawn

Thank you for clarifying, Dhaymion

10. Khirc

Khirc Orc Pawn

A small update. We've come closer!

On the request of a member, i downloaded Windows C++ Redist (x64) file and installed it. It did SOMETHING. I went from crashing at logging screen, to actually entering Norrath for 2 - 3 seconds before it kicked me. EQBCS also registered something this time around. It gave me the following commands in the eqbcs window:

-- Client connection: fd340
    -- Khirc has joined the server.
    -- Khirc has left the server.

I can replicate this behavior.

I also tried whitelisting MacroQuest.exe, eqgame.exe and EQBCS.exe in Windows Firewall Defender. But no dice. I also tried to disable it completely, same result.

Thanks again

11. Khirc

Khirc Orc Pawn

I'd appreciate any input. Im desperat at this point :)

12. Khirc

Khirc Orc Pawn

Update

* Tried downclocking my CPU to 3.8GHz. It was previously 4.01GHz. No dice
    * Cleaned up the macroquest_default file to a basic setup (with help from another user). No dice