Feelin a little small tonight

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Requests' started by Talobar, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talobar

Talobar Orc Centurion

So tonight I was banned from the server. It was originally for a week but was later reduced to 24 hours. After about an hour of contemplation and a strong internal voice saying "let it go" I finally came to the conclusion that I would share my story out of principle.

My original intent was to help a friend kill Agnarr for his flag. He's new to PEQ and recently started a 24 box (currently lvl 62-67). I arrived in BoT to meet my buddy who at the time had been taking advantage of the Hotzone exp. It was then that I spied a mass of giants attack what I mistook for his toons. I quickly jumped in to action attempting to save him from a wipe. From my perspective this looked like a pull that had gotten out of hand.

Now giants aren't exactly small models and it was hard to see what was behind the wall of stomping blue legs. When the smoke cleared I became aware that these were not the toons I had been looking for.

Once I realized what I had done, I immediately apologized. In a not so ceremonious way was told to "enjoy your week". The screen went dark and a dull sense of shock fell over me. In a futile attempt to explain myself further I took to OOC. Sadly the response I got was an accusation that I had "KSed a GM" as he continued to farm exp mostly unhindered.

Logic as I know it would find it rather uncommon for anyone to KS......well anyone else on PEQ. For a veteran player to go postal on a GM without warning would be a bold suicide at best. All my attempts to empathize with what the GM must have been thinking fail. The randomness of it, the lack of exposition or conflict, in my mind all would point to an accident. My punishment was so lightning fast even Agnarr himself would have been impressed. It felt like I had looked at a police officer cross eyed and should expect a beating regardless of what law it fell under.

To be fair I've had no previous interactions with this GM good or bad. In my professional life I work with a wide variety of personalities. I understand that even the most pragmatic leaders can be guilty of snap judgements from time to time. As leaders I hope you can evaluate my criticism of this event without immediate defense.

The reason I decided to post this is because I truly feel that what happened to me tonight was unjust. I'm not looking for drastic retribution or even an apology for that matter. I've been a part of the PEQ community since 2008 and love it here. Philosophically I believe It's healthy for any community to voice it's concern when figures of authority exercise their power in unjust ways. It hurt my heart a little to even write this.

Thank you for taking the time to read my rant. Pardon my grammar.

2. Ikeren

Ikeren Pyrilen Fireblade

PEQ has lots of dumb, unchecked, unreviewed moderating, and it's a large part why I no longer play here. Malice is consistently assumed in place of mere mistake.

3. huffin

huffin GM Staff Member

I wouldn't say "lots". The current bunch of Gms are overall lenient compared to years past. You do not hear of the things we've let go and no action has been taken. Much like the news you only hear the bad. This incident has been talked about and awareness raised, though.

4. Kilz

Kilz Administrator Staff Member

Your account should be un-suspended. After some discussion it was determined this probably could have been handled differently. Any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

5. Talobar

Talobar Orc Centurion

I appreciate the response. I certainly didn't write this up with the intent to cause trouble. I truly appreciate the entire community GM and players alike. I'm not above mistakes nor do I condem others for them. Awareness is all I hoped to achieve and please know that although my passion was high at the moment I by no means hold any animosity. (My real life is 100x more stressful then anything I experience here)

Keep up the good work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.