Real-Life Recipes for the Discerning Gamer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by apollo, Nov 1, 2017.

1. apollo

apollo Protector of Zek

French Onion Soup: Makes 4 Servings

"This soup, in my opinion, is best made the day before and allowed to sit overnight (so those onions can really soak up the flavors from the broth). It's very good even if eaten immediately, but I've taken to making this soup in huge batches (4-5 times the recipe) and freezing the extra. Not only does it keep remarkably well, but it has multiple uses beyond just making cups of French Onion Soup - try a cup or two of it in your crock pot roast instead of one of those nasty-ass Lipton Onion Soup packets, or marinate your steaks in the broth and top them with the drained onions from the soup. You'll never go back - and it's quite cheap to make, especially when you can buy in bulk.

The only "hard part" about making this soup is having to slice all of those onions; which, I've developed an immunity of sort to over the years, but I know can really bother some people."

Cookware:
    - Large Stock Pot
    - 4 Large, Oven-Safe soup crocks (coffee mugs work in a pinch, although they don't hold much soup at all - just make sure your gouda slices fit completely over the mouths)
    - Large Wooden or Plastic Spoon (I actually use a pasta grabber)
    - Rimmed Baking Sheet (Cookie Sheet)

Ingredients:

- 5-6 Medium to Large Yellow Sweet Onions (Halved, and cut into "matchstick-thick" strips)
    - 1 48oz (or very close) can/box Chicken Stock (not broth)
    - 1 48oz (or very close) can/box Beef Stock (not broth)
    - 1/2 cup Red Wine (I use Merlot, but Burgundy or Pinot Noir will also work)
    - 4 Tablespoons Butter
    - 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
    - 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
    - 1 Tablespoon Sea Salt (ground)
    - 2 sprigs fresh Thyme
    - 1 (large) Bay Leaf
    - 8 slices Smoked Gouda (room temperature, and one slice must cover the top of your oven-save serving bowls)
    - 1/2 cup shredded Asiago or Mozzarella cheese (room temperature)
    - 4 thick slices french or italian bread (I actually like to use Texas Toast)

Directions:
    **DO NOT PREHEAT OVEN UNTIL STEP 4**
    **IF YOU ARE MAKING DAY(S) IN ADVANCE, YOU CAN STOP AT STEP 3**

1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in sea salt and onion slices. Cook for 25-35 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently (or, until onions are carmelized and are almost syrupy. Make sure to scrape off any and all "burned spots" that end up in your pan - that's huge flavor in there.

2. Mix in Chicken Stock, Beef Stock, Red Wine, Balsamic Vinegar, and Worcestershire Sauce. Stir until well combined. Once stirred, add in thyme sprigs and bay leaf (try to let them float near the top for easy extraction, or bundle them with butcher's twine, if you have some handy). Simmer over low-medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Remove and discard Thyme Sprigs and Bay Leaf from broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover, and keep heat on very low while you make the bread.

**I LIKE TO STOP HERE AND LET THE SOUP REST OVERNIGHT BEFORE CONTINUING; NOT REQUIRED THOUGH**

4. Preheat the Broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and broil 3 minutes, turning once, or until well toasted on both sides. Remove from heat; do NOT turn off broiler.

5. Arrange 4 large oven-safe bowls on a rimmed baking sheet. Fill each bowl 3/4 with hot soup. Top each bowl with 1/2 slice toasted bread (optional, may be served on side for those who are vehemently anti-soggy bread, even though there is not much in each cup.), 2 slices of Smoked Gouda, and 1/4 of the Asiago/Mozzarella.

6. Broil for 5 minutes, or until bubbly and golden-brown. As it softens, the cheese will cascade down the sides of the crock and form a beautifully melted crusty seal. Serve Immediately.

2. apollo

apollo Protector of Zek

Gluten-Free Hot and Sour Soup (from scratch)

"The key here is adding the correct amount of ingredients and in the correct order. The only 'semi-tricky' part is properly adding the egg to the soup without it becoming chunky. Below in the directions is (hopefully) a foolproof method for doing so.
    However, if you make a mistake following the egg preparation and the egg clumps, you can add 4-5 minutes onto the cook time at the end (BEFORE adding the green onion, though) and it will be just fine - the texture will just be off with big hunks of cooked egg in there). When making soups remember: More surface area = More flavor. Chop those mushrooms good and fine, and make sure the bamboo shoots (which you can buy canned and pre-sliced) are diced into equal matchstick-shaped pieces...trust me, it adds a LOT to the overall flavor and texture.

This soup also freezes very well (as it has no noodles - and as long as you don't use seafood as the meat). I actually make it in triple batches and freeze the extra in old cottage cheese containers. It's a perfect serving size to heat up quickly on a cold day. Keeps roughly 4-5 weeks if properly frozen."

Cookware:

- Stock pot (soup pot)
    - Measuring Cups and Spoons
    - Mixing Bowl (for the egg)
    - Whisk (or, in a pinch, I use a fork)
    - Knife
    - Cutting board (or whatever)
    - Soup spoon or ladle

Ingredients:

- 6 cups chicken stock (NOT broth)
    - 1/2 cup cooked shrimp (or pork, or browned ground beef, or sliced steak...w/e, anything cooked, as it won't be in the soup long enough to do raw - my favorite is actually cooked breakfast sausage, because of the fennel)
    - 3/4 cup finely diced canned mushroom (fresh works too here, but canned is actually better for soup)
    - 1/2 cup julienne (matchstick cut) bamboo shoots
    - 1/2 cup white vinegar (do not use any type but white)
    - 1 egg (whites and yolk - beaten and whipped like your life depended on it)
    - 3 green onion stalks (diced)
    - 5 tablespoons Gluten-Free soy sauce (or, if you don't care, just use regular - and about half of them are G/F anyway)
    - 3 tablespoons corn starch (mixed and well-dissolved in 3 tablespoons of water - do NOT add it in dry)
    - 1-2 tablespoon(s) Sriracha (red chili sauce) **USE THIS TO CONTROL SPICY LEVEL** (I like mine good and hot, so I do the full 2 tablespoons, but if you want it milder, 1 tablespoon is just a nice comfortable warm.)
    - 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper

Directions:

1. Pour Chicken Stock into pot and bring to a simmer.
    2. Add in: Soy sauce, cooked meat of your choice, mushrooms, and Sriracha.
    3. Simmer for 5 minutes.
    4. Add in: Black pepper, white vinegar, bamboo shoots.
    5. Simmer for 5 minutes.
    6. Add in: Pre-mixed water/corn starch mixture.
    7. Simmer for 5 minutes.
    8. **THIS IS THE ONLY "TRICKY" PART** Make sure egg is beaten (to a froth, if you can, but do NOT use a blender) and VERY slowly pour into soup. (The idea here is: pour a RAZOR thin stream of whipped egg into the boiling broth so that it cooks intstantly as it falls into the soup and forms a kind of "cooked egg froth" on top. Each time the froth builds up enough to cover the surface of the soup, stir vigorously until well separated into soup. Then, continue adding the whipped egg (re-whipping, if necessary). Repeat until all of the egg is added.
    9. Add in: Diced green onion. Serve immediately.
    10. Enjoy!

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. apollo

apollo Protector of Zek

Chicken Vindaloo (from scratch)

"So, this recipe is tricky only in that you need a very well stocked spice cupboard. Some of the ingredients can be a little pricey, but in purchasing even small quantities you have enough to make this recipe at least a half a dozen of times.

Do not attempt to substitute ingredients, or leave "one or two" out that you do not currently have on hand; Indian food is about a perfect melding of dozens of different flavors. Trust me, it will be gross if you leave things out. But that being said, this is seriously one of my favorite dishes to make. Delicious.

Also, a possible exception to the ingredient modification rule: if you want it spicier you can up to double the amount of cayenne powder and fresh black pepper that the recipe calls for. (I do this.)"

Cookware:

- Skillet (with lid) - for the vindaloo
    - Stock pot (with lid) - to cook the rice on the side
    - Measuring Cups and Spoons
    - Mixing Bowl (to pre-mix the curry in)
    - Knife
    - Cutting Board (or whatever)
    - Fork or Whisk

Ingredients:

SET ASIDE:

- 2 thawed raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts (sliced into medallions, or cubed)
    - 4oz Tomato Sauce (canned is fine)
    - 4 garlic cloves, minced (the pre-minced kind in jars is fine)
    - 1 Medium Yellow Onion (finely diced)
    - 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley (diced)
    - 1/4 Teaspoon cinnamon powder
    - Sea Salt (to taste)
    - Jasmine rice (I really recommend dropping the extra dollar or two on a good bag of rice)

VINDALOO SAUCE ~ MIX THE FOLLOWING IN A SEPARATE CONTAINER:

- 1/2 cup water
    - 2 teaspoons brown sugar
    - 1.5 teaspoons white vinegar (do not use any kind but white)
    - 1 teaspoon minced ginger (pre-minced in jars is fine, or buy fresh, peel, and use a cheese grater) DO NOT USE POWDER
    - 3/4 teaspoon mustard powder
    - 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
    - 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
    - 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
    - 1/4 teaspoon turmeric

Directions:

1. Mix Vindaloo Sauce (as indicated above). Set aside.
    2. Prepare Jasmine rice in separate cook pot (per the directions on the bag). Cook/steam rice while continuing on to steps 3-8.
    3. In a lightly oiled skillet, brown the diced onion in a over medium heat (until tender).
    4. Add minced garlic and chicken medallions. Mix, and cook the chicken (medium heat) just enough so that it has color all around the outside.
    5. Add pre-mixed Vindaloo sauce, tomato sauce, and cinnamon powder. Stir until well combined. Cover, and reduce heat to LOW. Simmer covered for 10 minutes.
    6. Remove cover. Simmer uncovered another 10 minutes or until reduced.
    7. Add diced parsley.
    8. Serve over jasmine rice.
    9. Enjoy!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  4. apollo

apollo Protector of Zek

Homemade Fried Chicken Wings w/Homemade Sauces (2)

Brine:
    (24-36hrs in Advance!)

This step is *essential* for a wing that is crispy outside, and super tender inside. Do not attempt to brine less than the time indicated, you need a good long while for all those juices to do what they do.

3 Cups Water
    1/3 Cup Sea Salt (ideally; preferably *not* iodized)
    1/3 Cup White Sugar
    8 Tablespoons freshly ground Black Pepper

1. Combine all ingredients together until dissolved.
    2. Submerge chicken wings (make sure they're fully covered in liquid)
    3. Cover and place in the fridge for 24-36 hours (no more, no less)

Fry:

1. Remove chicken wings from brine and rinse each briefly under cold water (don't rub too much off, just knock the majority off, the brine is quite salty)
    2. Cover each wing in all purpose flour (grind it in good). Knock it a couple of times to shake off loose flour and set aside. Do this to all the wings.
    3. Heat oil to 340-360 degrees (you can start doing this before steps 1 and 2)
    4. Fry each wing (turning once or twice throughout cooking process) until golden brown; this takes about 13-15 minutes with a well brined, breaded wing.
    5. Set wings aside (covered) until all are fried, then stir and combine in the Sauce (listed below)

Sauces:

Parmesan Garlic:

1. In a stovetop saucepan, on *very* low heat, melt 1/2 cup (1 full stick) of regular salted butter (do not fucking use margarine lol)
    2. Add in the following:
    - 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
    - 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
    - 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
    - 1/4 Teaspoon pepper (either ground black, or powdered white, whichever you have)
    3. Stir until well combined and remove from heat. At NO point should the butter ever boil. You want very low heat to just melt it down and combine, if you bubble/boil it, it will separate, and your sauce will be ruined.

Classic Buffalo Sauce:

1. In a stovetop saucepan, on *very* low heat, melt 1/2 cup (1 full stick) of regular salted butter (do not fucking use margarine lol)
    2. Add in the following:
    - 8 Tablespoons of Frank's Red Hot sauce (for the traditional recipe, be brand-specific)
    - 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons of White Vinegar
    - 1/2 Teaspoon of ground Cayenne Pepper (adjust more or less to spicy level taste)
    - 1/4 Teaspoon Worsestershire Sauce
    3. Stir until well combined and remove from heat. At NO point should the butter ever boil. You want very low heat to just melt it down and combine, if you bubble/boil it, it will separate, and your sauce will be ruined.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  5. Ikeren

Ikeren Pyrilen Fireblade

You'll never stop being adorable and cute to me, Apollo.

6. apollo

apollo Protector of Zek

Just trying to spread the glory of home cooking!

7. Ikeren

Ikeren Pyrilen Fireblade

I just made a beautiful turkey-bacon chili. I remember using your rib-rub recipe from TTZ, rubbed em, baked em, smothered em in BBQ sauce and baked em some more. Ended up too spicy, but my vegetarian girlfriend of the time ended up breaking her 3 year vegetarian streak, sneaking to the kitchen eating them in the middle of the night.

• Like Like x 1
  8. apollo

apollo Protector of Zek

Super - Quick Honey Garlic Sauce/Glaze Recipe:
    (Serves 4)

This can be prepared with pretty much any kind of meat, or even as a vegetarian dish. It also works quite well on leftovers, or with meals prepared in advance.

I like to serve it over steamed basmati rice with a diced green-onion garnish, but that is entirely optional and would depend on what one is making the sauce with.

Cookware:

- Frying Pan
    - Measuring Cups (1/3cup, 1/4cup, tablespoon)
    - Spatula or Large Serving Spoon

Ingredients:
    - 6 Cloves Minced Garlic (this equates to 3 Tbsp. if you use pre-minced from a jar)
    - 1/2 Cup Diced Green Onion (completely optional garnish)
    - 1/3 Cup Honey (the higher quality the better)
    - 1/4 Cup Water
    - 2 Tbsp. Rice Wine Vinegar (no other type)
    - 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce

Directions:

1. Place your cooked (or *slightly undercooked*) meat into a *HOT* frying pan (unless using shrimp, add Shrimp with the Garlic). Ideally, you'd use the same pan to cook your meat as you do to make your sauce in, to preserve cooked flavors and juices.
    2. Drop the minced Garlic into the middle of the pan and let it fry up until browned (but not burnt). If using Shrimp or making a Vegetarian version, add raw, peeled Shrimp or Veggies at this step.
    3. Add in Honey, Water, Vinegar, and Soy Sauce. Stir until well blended and leave heat on *HIGH*. Allow sauce to bubble while moving meat around - gently flipping and tossing it occasionally to get good, even coverage. Continue boiling and reducing sauce for about 5-7 minutes or until 1/4 of the original liquid remains in the pan and it is visibly thickened.
    4. Serve meat in preferred presentation, drizzle with extra sauce. Serve with cup of sauce for dipping/pouring (or with rice, evenly pour the liquid over each plate and serve). Garnish with Green Onion if desired.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  9. apollo

apollo Protector of Zek

Slow-Cooker Chicken Bhuna Curry

"This is a curry that I like to make for people who say they don't like curries because they're "too hot". Bhuna is a classic Indian dish that is sometimes referred to as Butter Chicken and is quite mild in terms of heat, but still extremely savory and flavorful. It can be served over rice, which is how I've found it traditionally served and usually prepare it myself, or it's thick enough to use to fill pita bread, or even be used as a really unique chili-style dip if one prefers."

Cookware:
    - Food Processor
    - Frying Pan
    - Slow Cooker (a.k.a. Crock Pot)
    - Cutting Board
    - Large Mixing Bowl
    - Knife
    - Measuring Cups/Spoons (1/2 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup, Tablespoon, & Teaspoon)

Marinade Ingredients:
    - 1/3 Cup Non-fat Greek Yogurt
    - 2 Tomatoes (or 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes)
    - 1.5 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
    - 3 Cloves Garlic (or 1.5 Tbsp. minced from a jar)
    - 2 inches fresh, peeled ginger root
    - 1 tsp. Cumin Powder
    - 1 tsp. Chili Powder
    - 1.5 tsp. Garam Masala Powder
    - 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
    - 1/4 Cup Slivered Almonds

Butter Chicken Ingredients:
    - 1.5 Lbs. skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs, cut into 2-inch cubes
    - 2-3 Tbsp. Heavy Cream (adjust to taste)
    - 3 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
    - 1 Tbsp. Honey
    - 1/2 Cup Finely Slivered Red Onions
    - 2 Tbsp. Fresh Chopped Cilantro (for garnish)

Directions:
    1. In a food processor, combine all Marinade Ingredients with the exception of the yogurt and about 1/2 teaspoon of Garam Masala and process into a fine puree, adding 1 tbsp. of water if the mixture is hard to blend.
    2. Put Marinade into a large bowl and add Cubed Chicken and Yogurt. Set aside for 20 minutes. (It doesn't need to sit long for a slow cooker recipe)
    3. In the meantime, heat 2 Tbsp butter in a frying pan and sautee Red Onion over Medium Heat until extremely soft and fragrant. Then, add in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of Garam Masala from the Marinade to the onion pan. Sautee for 1-2 more minutes.
    4. Pour Marinated Chicken into the frying pan with the onions and add the remaining 1 Tbsp. Butter as well as the Honey. Cook in pan over Medium-High heat, stirring frequently, until the curry has a much darker color. (This direct heat helps cook off raw flavor of the tomatoes and some of watery-ness of the yogurt, don't skip it and just pour everything into the Slow Cooker)
    5. Pour contents of frying pan into Slow Cooker. Cook for 1.5 hrs. on High or 3 hrs. on Low.
    6. Before serving, after the cook time is up, add in the Heavy Cream, continuing to adjust to taste. (More for a thicker curry). Leave on warm until ready to serve.
    7. Garnish with fresh chopped Cilantro.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017