Questions about initial setup, MQ2 E3

Discussion in 'General MQ2' started by Strobol, Dec 29, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Strobol

Strobol Orc Pawn

I am new to MQ2. I had a monk/shammi duo I played years ago in Velious era by alt-tabing between clients. But I have never used macroquest before. Most of my play time has been on P99, so single toon only.

I downloaded and installed all files from the following post:

http://www.projecteq.net/forums/index.php?threads/guide-setup-guide-how-to-play.15184/

I believe it is the V7 build of MQ2 for PEQ.

I have made 5 toons on separate accounts. I have them all in newbie mines now. I have enabled auto-accept invite from group leader and have that working.

I have no idea what E3 is or how to use it. Is it part of what I have installed? I do not see any E3 directories under what was extracted from the zip file I downloaded. Do I just create those myself? I did get ini default files created from MQ2 when I logged the toons in for the first time. But all the ini files appear to be some sort of bard file, not ini files for the class of the character. The ini files are also located under the primary MQ2 directory, not a macro directory with 3 sub folders as discussed in the following video.:

I did find a seemingly very good document describing E3 here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mZMuB3QGwjAwjpxe-SMN13u6zM-lox7IQPkJTQDomWo/edit#

I think I could use the info from this document to create my own ini files for my characters. Should I do this or look for templates to mod? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Strobol

Strobol Orc Pawn

Also, do I need to do "/plugin XYZ load" on every client that I want it or just once on main toon to get that plugin working for my team?

3. eonEQemu

eonEQemu Froglok Krup Watcher

tinyurl.com/chance650

Read through the first 6 pages and make sure you have it setup correctly.

Page 7 shows you how to test if your bots are connected correctly.

This also has bot.ini samples for you to use/modify, etc. You could also start MQ2 and then start EQ up with it without an ini and it will create a blank ini for you for the correct class.

Video is a bit old, people don't sit around in PoK anymore (it got too laggy) it will auto boot you to the guild lobby. I don't recommend making a bard a looter if you use the bandolier you can lose items. (I've never had it happen, though)

Post if you get stuck on anything.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  4. Tharsis

Tharsis Orc Legionnaire

Welcome Strobol.

The google document you linked is "The e3 guide" we all link and use. The tinyurl.com/chance650 link points to it (and is a whole lot easier to remember). It's a fantastic guide but it does assume some general EQ/MQ2/plugin/macro knowledge.

EQ is EQ. I'm assuming you're familiar with it. At any rate, EQ questions are beyond the scope of MQ2/E3, the google doc, and this thread.

MQ2 is the software bridge between the game (EQ) and the macro (E3). MQ2 includes data, methods for accessing the data and commands to do stuff with that data. MQ2 plugins also reside in this space. Plugins also include data, methods and commands. Once set up and configured, the difference between MQ2 and plugins disappears. Configuring MQ2 happens by editing Macroquest.ini. Configuring plugins happens by editing that particular plugins' ini (example: MQ2AutoLogin.ini).

E3 is a macro written in MQ2 macro language. E3 utilizes the data, methods and commands provided by MQ2 and MQ2 plugins. All MQ2 macros are located in the Macros subfolder.

With that primer out of the way..

V7 is the version of E3.

[Technical...] MQ2 doesn't have "versions." Rather, MQ2 has a "build date" and refer to the date of the client being used. On live servers, patch day means a new client which means a new MQ2. The build date matches the correct version of MQ2 to a particular client. On emulated servers, there is no patch day. Hence, we have no need for MQ2 versions. The version of MQ2 used for E3v7 is the same version used for E3v6.

E3 is a macro. All MQ2 macros are located in <MQ2 folder>/Macros folder. Look in there and you will see e3.mac. That's the "main" e3 macro file but you will also see other subfolders referring to e3: e3 includes, e3 Bot inis, e3 Macro inis. To start e3, type "/mac e3" in the chat bar in game. You will also see other .mac files for other macros included. You should see CoH.mac and scribe.mac and maybe some others.

Starting e3 for the first time will create the bot ini file for that character.

/plugin xyz load will load that plugin for that character. It will also edit Macroquest.ini to turn on that plugin for any future character starting up EQ/MQ2.

It does NOT automatically load that plugin for any other character currently loaded into the game. [I think. I'm going from memory.]

As a general rule, its best to load a plugin while only a single character is running OR by manually editing the Macroquest.ini while Zero characters are running.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tharsis

Tharsis Orc Legionnaire

Just to add:
    The first 7 pages are all about setting up MQ2 and plugins.

At page 8, you start learning about the e3v7 macro.

6. Strobol

Strobol Orc Pawn

This makes more sense now. I did see an error box popup about client date not matching what was expected. I just closed it and continued. I will log in my main toon and start "/mac e3" and continue from there. I think I will get it soon enough. I guess it will be just figuring out specifically what each macro, but the defaut MQ2 ones and the E3 ones do.

There was one more thing going on. There was a program I had to purge from my system after downloading these files. It was called "Ruin Vangaurd" and was autostarting when I first started MQ2. It looked to be logging things in encrypted logs. I removed all the autologin macro info and dll and purged everything I could find related to the "Ruin Vangaurd" thing. MQ2 still runs from what I can tell, though the "Ruin Vangaurd" thing tossed a warning error up that things could break. Looked like someone my have wanted passwords or something.

I am not fond of the idea for keeping passwords in plain text, so am not likely to use the autologin feature as is.

7. Strobol

Strobol Orc Pawn

Followup Question.

I have another MQ2 E3 question. I think I have the basics down now: follow, assist, click portals, zone through zonelines. Enough for my level 10 group to do alright. But I am having issues with meditating. I want the casters to med anytime they are not casting. It appears that the only place to set that value is in the [General] section of a universal macro. This causes issues with the toon I play, an SK. If he gets low on mana he will sit whenever I stop moving. That makes pulling hard. How do I disable that on him but leave it for the others to med up while I pull mobs?

8. Strobol

Strobol Orc Pawn

I think I fixed it. There was a e3basics.ini file that set automed to 'not if' [BRD]. I made 'if' and 'else if's for all the pure casters and priests instead. Gonna log on and see if it works.

9. Strobol

Strobol Orc Pawn

That did not work =/ Not sure what to do. Some more internet searches...

10. eonEQemu

eonEQemu Froglok Krup Watcher

Turn off med on low mana in general section, then use commands.
    If I want certain toons to med but not others I use /medon hold /only|healers or /medon hold /only|nameofbot
    or if you want to do it by target, /medon /only|${Target.Name}
    hope that helps

11. Strobol

Strobol Orc Pawn

That does seem to be the way. I have default med on currently in macro settings. So I can make an ingame macro like the following:

/medoff
    /medon hold /not|BRD /not|SHD

That will make all but my current melee types med. I can add in more if/when I bring a rogue into group.

I did find something similar in a MacroQuest tutorial, but that command was /autosit.

Thank you for the help.

Still do not understand where bard is defined to not sit in all of this by default. Because if I knew that, I could just add other melee types there for a permanent default solution.

12. Strobol

Strobol Orc Pawn

Well, /only and /not did not work with the medon command for me. I tried /only|(my casters) and /not|(myself) but I still an automeding. =/ I know there has to be a way because Bards do not automed.

13. Strobol

Strobol Orc Pawn

I am starting to think that it is part of the compiled dll. That I will not be able to change it unless I modify the source and recompile a new dll for whatever function controls automed.

14. Tharsis

Tharsis Orc Legionnaire

Code:
    |------------------------------------------------|
    |- Engages MedBreak mode, on bots who can cast.   -|
    |------------------------------------------------|
    #EVENT medOn "<#1#> MedBreak On#*#"
    SUB EVENT_medOn(line, ChatSender)
    /if (${Debug} || ${Debug_Basics}) /echo |- EVENT_medOn ==>
      /if (!${checkEventArgs[${ChatSender},${line},UZR]}) /return
      /if (${Me.Class.ShortName.NotEqual[BRD]}) {
          /docommand ${ChatToggle} Meditating...
          /varset medBreak TRUE
          /if (${line.Find[ Hold]}) {
            /varset medBreak_Hold TRUE
          } else {
            /varset medBreak_Hold FALSE
          }
      }
    /if (${Debug} || ${Debug_Basics}) /echo <== EVENT_medOn -|
    /RETURN

e3_Basics.inc around line 1013. As you can see, e3 ignores medding for bards. You won't need the /not|BRD part because it's already in the macro.

15. Strobol

Strobol Orc Pawn

Yes. This was the exact blurb of code I was trying to edit in order to only have casters and priest meditate. So, this is source for the compiled dlls? If so, is there a writeup for recompiling them? It has been several years, but I had to recompile video video and wifi drivers on a linux system a decade ago. I am sure I could get through it if the basic steps are lined out.

16. Tharsis

Tharsis Orc Legionnaire

e3 the macro isn't a compiled dll. It's human readable, plain text you see in .mac and .inc files. The stuff in the MQ2/Macros folder are all human readable and NOT compiled into dlls. When you type /medon in game, that blurb is literally the code ran. Put a simple "/echo I'm medding!!!!!!!!!!" line in the middle, save it, reload e3, /medon and look at the results.

MQ2 the program has dlls. MQ2 plugins are compiled into dlls. The stuff in the MQ2 folder are dlls (and accompanying ini files). Those files are provided by the server "as is" because they are what are allowed on the server. Exceptions to the allowed list must first have GM approval. That's not quite correct. Changes to the allowed list must first have GM approval.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022