Server Update 11/21/2018

Discussion in 'News' started by Akkadius, Nov 21, 2018.

By Akkadius on Nov 21, 2018 at 11:13 AM
  1. Akkadius

Akkadius Administrator Staff Member

Greetings PEQ!

With our 800-900 population count as of recent I've bumped up some server resources with a little bit more memory allocated to PEQ. We've also bumped up the amount of dynamic zones (100) so we should run into that a little less frequently as well.

NPC Movement Overhaul

Recently, we landed massive changes to pathing logic with NPC's that took a while to iron out but it has been an immensely positive addition to the EQEmu server core. With that, it's made us realize how much some related functionality needed to be addressed and that involves NPC movement logic. We've been needing to address NPC movement logic for years as it has been fragmented and inconsistent all over the code which has made fixing actual movement related issues a nightmare. There are many other technical things that we can go into about it but the important part is that it is much improved! Special thanks to KLS for putting in a lot of work to make this happen
    • NPC's should now smoothly path between source and destination, rather than "skipping" all over the place between path points and sending sometimes several position updates, there should only be one update until NPC changes heading or speed
    • NPC pathing during flee and fear should be far improved
    • NPC pathing inside of water should be far improved
    • NPC transitions between water and land should now be seamless
    • NPC transitions over verticals (hills) should be smoother as well
    • NPC "Stuck" logic during path finding should be improved
    As usual, if you find any issues regarding this update, please post them in this thread and we will address them

Thanks!

The PEQ Team

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Akkadius, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Vexcid
      Vexcid
      Thank you very much Akkadius. Really appreciate your work.
    2. Akkadius
      Akkadius
      Update - we have been aware of what the issue is regarding underworld, but the elegant solution was a little tricky. We should see something within the next few days for possible solution and then we can hopefully proceed with testing on PEQ until we are confident in the changes
    3. Akkadius
      Akkadius
      KLS has put in a fix for underworld issues that will go live Friday morning. While its not absolutely perfect it should be considerably better than before. Mobs may still go under if going up and down a steep hill but will still correct. Will update if further changes are made but I would love to hear back what people observe from these changes
    4. Akkadius
      Akkadius
      Folks - as you well know changes were made last night that KLS had made with the small time he had last night to try and make things better for underworld related issues and they lead to even more of a regression, we are rolling back to yesterday's changes for now. KLS is well aware of what the problem is and how to fix it is more a matter of time to properly fix the problem than anything. This weekend we should have time to properly resolve said issue. Thanks for your understanding folks

For those of you thinking "Movement was mostly fine before, why do we need to go through this?". While movement was mostly fine before it was a series of duck tape over a terrible core that made it really difficult to fix things like flee / fear because the underlying architecture as to how movement was handled was terrible. It is far better now and makes it far easier to troubleshoot and truly fix issues without something else clobbering the logic. It is a small price to pay in the interim
    5. Hive
      Hive
      RCoD has a lot of problems. If a mob has to go over any change in Z axis it will likely fall under the world. Some mobs summon of course and then that is a problem. Fleeing mobs go under the world commonly. Mobs start off under the world and then you can't see them and all of a sudden you are being attacked by what seems to be invisible mobs. It is really hard to get them to come to the surface - I've tried changing z axis again, sometimes that works but not always. Sometimes they are so far below the world you can't even send a pet in to attack.
    6. Akkadius
      Akkadius
      Yeah we are still pending an update to fix the Z falling under world issue - waiting to hear an update from KLS
    7. Baruuk
      Baruuk
      I just wiped in Tower of Sol Ro at the Guardian of Dresolik because one dropped below the world and somehow pulled 40+ mobs with him - kept summoning the tank and several others below the world. Valarys
    8. tibbs
      tibbs
      Wanted to add that in HoH in the west area, mobs will fall under the platform, run on the ground far beneath, and summon you to them. You can then walk freely around the ground tier without any way to get back up.
    9. Akkadius
      Akkadius
      Changes are in today in regards to fixing underworld issues, tested and verified myself that hilly pathing is very very smooth now

Thanks to KLS for all of his hard work on this one!

Merry Christmas!
    10. Hive
      Hive
      Awesome changes! (And on Christmas day no less!!!) RCoD is much better now. Taking mobs up/down stairs or hills does not end with them below the world. However there are still mobs that are pathing under the world and will then aggro and pop themselves above to world to engage.
    11. Hive
      Hive
      This had not happened previously but I found today in Barindu that mobs will not follow and just stand there sometimes. I went up to one that had aggro on me and when i stood in melee distance it would melee me and when I stepped out of melee distance it would not follow me. If it was a caster it would cast on me if I was within spell range but it would make no effort to come into melee range. This happened to over a dozen mobs and none of them seemed hindered by geometry or anything.

EDIT: Once I killed the spawns that would not follow their respawns behaved normally.
      Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    12. Ridiculous
      Ridiculous
      I do not know if this is related to any of the recent changes. I was clearing Fear to give Cazic a go and had a few mobs that would be standing visible but when I would try to pull them, they would not come. If I went up to melee them, in some cases I would get an out of range message while others would melee me, but not follow (like Hive refers to). I do not know if they would have came when Cazic called for his help as I never got to Cazic as I ran out of time to play.
    13. Zashi
      Zashi
      At the Grimling/Acrylia Caverns zoneline (both sides) mobs are fleeing through the ZL. Chasing them with melee results in characters zoning out
    14. settle1
      settle1
      This happened to me tonight in Mistmoore too
    15. slaybackaskani@aol.com
      slaybackaskani@aol.com
      Don't know if it is worth mentioning but Ssra temple is a bit of a mess. If I pull from the second floor to the first, often times the mobs will warp to the other side of the second floor, literally pulling the entire 2nd floor from both directions. Similar issues happen when pulling General from the 3rd floor to the assassin room. The mobs will path every which way, warp up and down and side ways. I've ended up with taskmasters, both commanders, and probably half the zone in the assassin room on one pull. Often times the mobs will fall to the basement and warp around until they drag everything with them.

If there is a way to set the pathing or have it so they come straight to you rather than wandering the zone, it would be a huge improvement. I know barbatos mentioned that the second they hit the water, pathing goes haywire.

More than happy to get screen shots and videos if it helps.

I appreciate all of your hardwork and time.